Thursday, 26 July 2012

Busy Is An Understatement.

I've been busy. Like really, really, busy. Every weekend is spent away at races right now, and every other waking hour is either spent working or playing in the sunshine. The sun is here and I MUST take advantage!

Two toonie races have gone by in Squamish and they have both been on LOOONG, technical, steep trails. I consider these great practice for "growing balls" since I have to attack every obstacle that comes my way instead of walking down it as I normally would.

Toonie race down Powersmart in Squamish. 

Two weekends ago we headed to Sun Peaks in Kamloops for BC Cup #3. We were prepared for some seriously hot weather but luckily it cooled down to a comfortable temperature for both days. The course was  super duper uper fast! So fast, that there were times that you just could not pedal any more...well at least I couldn't, my legs could not keep up. I loved it. Speed is my friend and with not many technical spots on course, there wasn't much to think about other than holding on for dear life! I did five practice laps on Saturday and really got a great feel for the track and could really anticipate what was coming up which is essential at high speeds. I felt good.  
My race run was a success, I nailed all my lines, got really brave in the high speed sections and felt alright in the tighter berms. The timing was live (which was a real treat), and I came down and stole the hot seat! However, with the fastest rider in our category coming directly behind me, I anticipated my time there would be limited. It was. I did hang on to second place and was stoked! 

Masters Women Podium


The following weekend we were off to Silver Star in Vernon. I would be the only one racing as Jeremy had a bit of an accident in the bike park and was nursing a suspected broken wrist. We were staying in Kelowna with a wonderful host and on our way into town decided to stop in at Manteo Resort and have dinner at Wild Apple Restaurant. I highly recommend eating here as not only is the Exec Chef my old boss Chef B but the food is amazing, fresh and local. Incredible!
We headed up the mountain bright and early Saturday for practice. I rolled through the course a few times and examined the many line choices with T-Mo. The options were endless through the jagged rock rolls and bermy, rooty trees. We studied the fastest options and practiced them until we had them nailed down. In the evening there was a whip-off on the big table top at the bottom of the course, we kicked back with some beers and enjoyed the show! 
Sunday I managed a couple of practice runs and changed up a few lines. I was ready to get the race run over with as the nerves were consuming me. I had decided that since this wasn't my ideal course that I wouldn't put too much pressure on myself and just ride my bike. Despite telling myself this, I was still so shaky coming out of the start gate that I thought I was going to fall over. I had a great run, stayed on my lines and felt pretty solid. I got to the bottom and was in the hot seat! Again, I decided to enjoy it as I didn't anticipate it to last. Turned out, it did last and I won! My first BC Cup win!  
All winners get hugs from Tippie!


Super loose, off-camber corner coming into the finish.



I got to play with bubbly in a rainstorm! 

I also have to give a huge congratulations to T-Mo for winning her first Pro Race! Success! 

Like I said earlier, I am busy, and next up is a bike vacation to Panorama and Kicking Horse and all places in between for 10 days! I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment